We invite you to submit an abstract to our AGU Natural Hazards session “Meeting the challenges of 21st century climate adaptation”
Climate information, including observations, predictions on a range of timescales, and projections of longer-term change, can inform adaptation strategies and protect society against the loss of life, property, and productive capacity. Successfully developing, evaluating, and actualizing such predictions is difficult, however, given the intrinsic uncertainties and potentially high sensitivity of decisions to such uncertainties. In this session we will bring together scientists from fields including climate science, decision sciences, sustainability sciences and engineering to discuss:
- identification of relevant climate variables and timescales of decision-making within critical infrastructure systems;
- predictability, including associated bias and uncertainty, of relevant climate variables at different spatial and temporal scales; and
- use of climate information (including observations and forecasts) for guiding near- and long-term decision-making under uncertainty.
Should you apply? [Yes!]
This session is appropriate for any submission which highlights challenges and opportunities faced across sectors. We particularly solicit interesting case studies in sectors such as urban planning, energy distribution, water management, and agriculture that highlight important research questions in climate prediction and decision science, and/or studies of the predictability of relevant climate phenomena.
Presenters from under-represented groups are particularly encouraged to apply. If you have any questions about this session or would like to assess whether your submission is a good fit, please contact James.
Other useful information:
- Session ID: 80491
- Session Title: . Meeting the challenges of 21st century climate adaptation
- Conveners: James Doss-Gollin, David J. Farnham, Hannah Nissan, Upmanu Lall
- Section: Natural Hazards
To view session details you must log in through the AGU Fall Meeting portal here.