Python is a general purpose programming language with stable and high-performinglibraries for numerical computing, data visualization, gridded data, machine learning, and optimization.
You should install Python (version 3.6 or greater -- not version 2) using miniconda.
This provides you with the
conda package manager, which you can use to create Python "environments" on your computer.
- Install packages with
environment.ymlfiles that list required packages for all code
- The black formatter keeps code pretty
- The mypy linter and static type hinting clarify expected inputs and outputs
- to write better code, watch Raymond Hettinger's 2015 PyCon talk Beyond PEP 8 -- Best practices for beautiful intelligible code
- to understand object oriented programming, type hints, scripting, and
mypywatch Livecoding Madness - Let's Build a Deep Learning Library and I don't like notebooks by Joel Grus
- to learn about unit testing, work through the short course Software Testing and Testing Automation with Python by Leeman Geophysical LLC